Colombia is known to be the country with the highest number of bird species in the world and for many reasons has grabbed the headlines in the bird world in recent years. Increasing bird tourism has ensured some amazing spots for bird photography and we take advantage of this growing industry. From endemics like the multi-colored tanager to special birds like the cock of the rock, this tour will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for our participants.
We start our tour in the beautiful city of Cali. On arrival, each guest will be received by a TPT representative and taken to our airport hotel where we spend the rest of the evening. Meet and greet during dinner time.
Next morning, we meet at 7 am and depart for a small rainforest lodge not far from the city where we spend 2 nights. The forest lodge is known for some amazing species of birds like the blue-winged mountain tanager, blue-capped tanager, chestnut crowned Antpitta and several others. From here we move to the Los nevados national park and spend the next few nights in a scenic thermal lodge. Our main targets here are the sword billed hummingbird, rainbow bearded thornbill and shinning sunbeam along with several species of mountain tanagers.
Our drive to the last location is a long one, around 6 hrs that takes us to the cloud forests around Cali. Our main targets for the next few days will be the endemic multi-color tanager, cock of the rock, red-headed barbet, crimson rumped toucanet and several others. We end our tour in the city of Cali from where our participants depart.
Dates: 7th-15th November 2020
Cost: US$ 4000 p/p in twin-share/US$ 4400 in a single supplement
Group Leader: Supreet Sahoo
Group Size: Maximum 6 Photographers
Lodging, meals (except 1st and last day), ground transportation in Colombia, park entrance fees, all activities, and guiding.
International travel, visas, travel insurance, gratuities, beverage, snacks, tips, phone calls, laundry, alcoholic beverages & cost of hospitalization/evacuation, if necessary.
- Resplendent Quetzal
- Fer de Lance
- Green honeycreeper
- Scarlet-rumped tanager
- Black and white owl
- Black checked woodpecker
- Black vulture
- Blue-gray tanager
- Chesnut colored woodpecker
- Clay-colored thrush
- Coppery headed emerald
- Crimson-collared tanager
- Dusky-faced tanager
- Eyelash viper
- Golden-hooded Tanager
- Green honeycreeper
- Green-crowned brilliant
- Grey-headed chachalaca
- Keel-billed toucan
- King vulture
- Lesser ground cuckoo
- Long-tailed Manakin
- Margay cat*
- Pacific screech owl
- Palm tanager
- Plain colored tanager
- Purple-throated mountain gem
- Red-eyed frog
- Red-Legged honeycreeper
- Rufous-tailed hummingbird
- Scarlet rumped tanager
- Spectacled owl
- Violet Sabrewing
- White-throated crake
- Yellow-throated toucan
* The margay cat is a wild animal and we cannot guarantee that you would see one. Our local contacts try to track these stealthy animals and aid our chances.
Little walking may be involved in certain lodges to reach your rooms (there will be arrangements to carry your luggage in that case).
Most locations are relaxed with minimum to no hikes required.
- Digital SLR (a full-frame camera would be good).
- Your longest telephoto lens, preferably 300mm or more.
- A macro lens is highly recommended.
- A sturdy tripod/monopod required.
- A wide-angle if you are interested in landscapes
- A flash with flash bracket (optional gear)
- Basics of using fill flash in tropical bird photography
- Selection and set up of perches
- Post-processing of images using Lightroom and Photoshop
BOOK YOUR SPOT:
A deposit amount of USD 1000 is required to book your spot.
Please contact using the contact form for payment options. Bank transfer, check, PayPal options available (wiith a service fee)
- Advance non-refundable deposit to book the spot.
- Remaining balance 90 days before the trip start date.
- Advance deposit is non-refundable.
- Remaining amount - 60% refund if canceled before 45 days of the tour. No refund beyond that period.
HOW TO BOOK A SPOT
Step 1: Please refer to the Terms & Conditions to view the payment/cancellation/refund policy.
Step 3: Once the deposit is recieved our team will confirm your spot and send you more details on the tour plan.
- Travel insurance is mandatory for all travelers
- Tropical Photo Tours holds the rights to modify a reservation at any time during a workshop. As a company, we always try to comply with what we have promised but due to several unforeseeable circumstances such as weather, natural calamity, political, environmental, cultural we may have to make changes to our reservations.
- All amounts are in USD unless specifically mentioned otherwise