Ecuador offers a variety of options to our clients in one of the most biodiverse parts of the world. We drive across 3 different habitats before venturing into the Ecuadorian Amazons.
Join us on a trip of your lifetime and come back with some of the most memorable images you will ever make!
We begin our adventure 3 hours west of the capital city of Quito in cloud forest as no other. We will set up our base in the beautiful town of Mindo from where we will visit a new site every morning. Some of the species we photograph during this time are several species of hummingbirds but most notably the violet tailed sylph, velvet purple coronet, crimson rumped toucanet and many more. After 3 nights in this area, we shift to the Papllacta area to photograph - the sword billed hummingbird, Ecuadorian hillstar, carunculated caracara and other high altitude species. We will also focus on multi-flash photography during this part of the tour. Our workshop participants will also learn how to use fill flash techniques and how to set up perches. Landscape photography opportunities will be in plenty as the Antisana volcano makes for a beautiful setup for landscape photographers. On 17th we come back to Quito where the tour ends of the ones who are not joining us for the amazon extension.
The following day we drive to the small town of coca where we spend the night. If time permits we will do a short boat ride in the Limoncocha lagoon area to look for species like snail kites, laughing falcons and the bizarre leaf-eating Hoatzin! The next day we depart to our Amazon lodge which is a 2 hr boat ride from the city of Coca. We spend 3 nights here and focus our time at macaw licks and canopy towers. At the end of the 3 days, we head back to Quito where we say goodbye to our clients.
Dates: 7-18th February 2021
(North West only- option available): US$ 4000 p/p in twin-share/US$ 4400 in a single supplement
Group Leader: Supreet Sahoo
Group Size: Maximum 6 Photographers
Arrival/Departure:Quito, Ecuador (QUI)
Lodging, meals (except 1st and last day), ground transportation in Costa Rica, park entrance fees, all activities and guiding.
International travel, visas, travel insurance, gratuities, beverage, snacks, tips, phone calls, laundry, alcoholic beverages & cost of hospitalization/evacuation, if necessary.
- Crimson-rumped toucanet
- Plate-billed mountain toucan
- Sword-billed Hummingbird
- Velvet-purple coronet
- Andean cock of the rock
- Mustached Antpitta
- Giant hummingbird
- Scarlet Macaw
- Many-banded Aracari
- Booted racket-tail hummingbird
- Andean Emerald
- Empress brilliant
- Violet-tailed sylph
- Plate-billed mountain toucan
- Golden-headed Quetzal
- White-bellied woodstar
- Tawny Antpitta
- Golden Tanager and many more species
This is a very relaxed trip and involves very little walking.
- Digital SLR (a full-frame camera would be good).
- Your longest telephoto lens, preferably 300mm or more.
- A macro lens is highly recommended.
- A sturdy tripod/monopod required.
- A wide-angle if you are interested in landscapes
- A flash with flash bracket (optional gear)
- Basics of using fill flash in tropical bird photography
- Selection and set up of perches
- Post-processing of images using Lightroom and Photoshop
BOOK YOUR SPOT:
A deposit amount of USD 1000 is required to book your spot.
Please contact using the contact form for payment options. Bank transfer, check, PayPal options available (wiith a service fee)
- Advance non-refundable deposit to book the spot.
- Remaining balance 90 days before the trip start date.
- Advance deposit is non-refundable.
- Remaining amount - 60% refund if canceled before 45 days of the tour. No refund beyond that period.
HOW TO BOOK A SPOT
Step 1: Please refer to the Terms & Conditions to view the payment/cancellation/refund policy.
Step 3: Once the deposit is recieved our team will confirm your spot and send you more details on the tour plan.
- Travel insurance is mandatory for all travelers
- Tropical Photo Tours holds the rights to modify a reservation at any time during a workshop. As a company, we always try to comply with what we have promised but due to several unforeseeable circumstances such as weather, natural calamity, political, environmental, cultural we may have to make changes to our reservations.
- All amounts are in USD unless specifically mentioned otherwise